The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) has announced it is collaborating with IBM to offer a 12-week online course focused on blockchain architecture, design and use cases. Available on the NPTEL website from July 2018, this first-of-its-kind blockchain course in India will prepare students for the demand for blockchain skills by covering both conceptual and application aspects of blockchain technology.
The course curriculum has been co-developed by Prof. Sandip Chakraborty, IIT Kharagpur and Dr. Praveen Jayachandran, IBM Research, India and will train students in key blockchain topics like crypto primitives, consensus, permissioned blockchain and used cases as well as research aspects.
According to the Upwork Skills Index for Q1 2018, blockchain skills have become the most in-demand skill set in the technology industry. The report findings predict blockchain skills growth to exceeded 2000% for three quarters in a row on Upwork.com and is the fastest growing skillset out of more than 5000 skills on the site.
“The popularity of blockchain has moved from cryptocurrency to business applications across many industries such as insurance, finance, supply chain logistics, digital identity, healthcare and public sector. IBM’s collaboration with India’s leading academic minds to create a blockchain curriculum is a reflection of our commitment to enabling the technology to realize its full potential, while also addressing the increased demand for adequate skills for students and developers,” said Dr. Praveen Jayachandran, Senior Technical Staff Member & Manager – Blockchain and Smart Contracts, IBM Research – India.
NPTEL recently introduced an initiative called NPTEL Industry Associate to bridge the industry-academia gap. By co-offering courses with industry leaders, NPTEL is leveraging industry expertise by conducting workshops for NPTEL certified students in niche domains, offering internships, etc.
NPTEL coordinator Prof. Andrew Thangaraj said “Content contribution by technology leaders to a course in cutting-edge technology areas provides learners a better insight into its practical implementation. The blockchain course with IBM is the first in this genre and will encourage more companies to come forward to do the same.”
About the course and certification
CERTIFICATION EXAM :
- The exam is optional for a fee.
- Date and Time of Exam: 28 October 2018 (Sunday).
- Time of Exam: Morning session 9am to 12 noon; Afternoon session: 2pm to 5pm
- Exam for this course will be available in both morning & afternoon sessions
- The online registration form has to be filled and the certification exam fee needs to be paid. More details will be made available when the exam registration form is published.
- Final score will be calculated as 25% assignment score + 75% final exam score
- 25% assignment score is calculated as 25% of average of Best 8 out of 12 assignments
- E-Certificate will be given to those who register and write the exam and score greater than or equal to 40% final score. Certificate will have your name, photograph and the score in the final exam with the breakup.It will have the logos of NPTEL and IIT Kharagpur.It will be e-verifiable at nptel.ac.in/noc.
Course link – https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/noc18_cs47/preview
– Chaitanya Kulkarni